How do I enable note version history?
The History menu stores different versions of your notes and allows you to discern the changes made in each version (except for notes made with Secure Spreadsheets, which cannot be previewed easily). Each version of the note is based on changes that are made at least 5 minutes apart, and the History menu only keeps versions made within the last 30 days. This menu is available to both free users and Extended users.
The History menu has two categories: Session, and Remote.
Session History keeps track of revisions made to the note using your current device, while Remote History keeps track of revisions made to the note across all devices that you've signed into.
How to restore a previous note version
- Click or tap on an entry to preview that version of the note
- Choose to either Restore it and overwrite the current note, or choose Restore as copy to create a new note based on that version of the current note
On the desktop app and web app, you'll also find the following actions when you click on the Options sub menu for Session History:
- Clear local note history: Delete all local session history records for the current note.
- Clear all local history: Delete all local session history records for all your notes
- Disable auto cleanup: The app automatically deletes records of smaller revisions to save space. Use this option to toggle the auto-cleanup behavior.
- Enable saving history to disk: Use this option to save session history records to your computer's disk. However, enabling this will decrease general app performance, so it is not recommended.
CloudLink Note History
If you are an Extended user, and you would like to keep track of changes older than 30 days, you'll need to enable Note History in the CloudLink extension:
- In the Extensions menu, install and open CloudLink.
- In the Note History box, click Install.
Note History is now enabled. To view the revisions recorded here:
- With a note selected, click Actions in the menu bar under the note's title.
- Find the Note History section. Your revisions will be listed here.
- Select a revision, then choose to either preview it or restore it.
- If you choose to preview it, you will encounter the same preview interface that is seen in entries from the History menu.
In the future, the built-in History Menu will also be able to keep track of changes older than 30 days and fully replace Note History. This help page will be updated accordingly.